HCR - Dead End

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Cannot believe it!

What a game what a series what a Cup.
Its hard to imagine a Canadian cheering for the Canes but no one appreciates the hardships I have saw this team through. The dismal years in Hartford where, although I wish they were still there, were denied a request for a simple new arena as the old one was simply falling apart. Drafting overrated players to see them fall apart and then flourish under a new team. Its sad really that my team is in a dismal market but they are my team and no one can take that away from me. The reality is if the team fails the market will eventually fail, its a fact that is difficult for me to accept. The fact that I love this team and its players has nothing to do with where they are located it has everything to do with who they are. Heck most of them are Canadians brought together by the simple fact they love to play hockey and want to hoist the cup and become embossed in a symbol of greatness by having their names on the cup.
As I watch game 7 thoughts and images going through my head...Some of Canes hoisting the cup some of Oilers hoisting the cup (shake it off man, shake it off).
The first goal I almost cried I was so happy...a lovely deflection which was long in the making after a 4-0 shutout/blowout in game 6. When you go that long without a goal you wonder if the drought will ever end. After that goal it was clear, the Canes came to play. They were throwing around bodies with disregard and skating faster than I have ever seen them skate. Of course always with a flair for the dramatics Edmonton put a goal in late and had me worried and the Canes had a goal not allowed that was clearly a goal. At that point in time where the disallowed goal I had wondered what was going on there until I saw a picture clearly showing the puck in the net. It seems as tho the Oil in their infinite wisdom had shovelled it out to make it look like it never went in. But alas we did not need the goal and we went on to win and make memories for me that will last a lifetime.
I have never been a fan of a Stanley Cup team, did not become a fan after they hoisted the cup (which is where the majority of Oiler fanbase came from) five times in a decade and did not abandon the team when they finished second last the previous season.

I will be attending the season opener to watch the hoisting of the Stanley Cup banner. It will be my first Canes game ever and will for sure be a great time. I'm still floating on cloud nine right now and its hard to believe it actually happened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home